How to Remove Fungus on the Walls

Home - Blog - How to Remove Fungus on the Walls

How to Remove Fungus on the Walls

Fungus on the walls is not only unattractive, but it can also be dangerous to your health. Fortunately, removing fungus from the walls is a relatively easy task that doesn’t require expensive products or lots of time. All you need are some household cleaning supplies and 4 simple steps which we shall explain in this blog.

What is Fungus?

Fungus is a type of microorganism that grows on food, plants and in the home. Fungus can be harmful to your health if you breathe in spores from it or if it gets into your mouth. It may cause allergic reactions such as sneezing and coughing, as well as skin rashes.

Fungus can be found in damp areas such as bathrooms or kitchens where they grow on walls and ceilings – usually at humid areas around windows/doors which are not properly ventilated to air flow out of the room (i.e., allowing humidity levels to build up).

What Kills Black Mold on Walls?

You can kill and remove black mold on walls with chlorine bleach. The chemical formula for chlorine is Cl2, which is what you’ll find in pool water or swimming pools that are treated with chlorine to keep them clean. There’s no denying that chlorine kills black mold very effectively!

Chlorine bleach should only be used on hard surfaces such as ceramic tile, concrete floors and even wooden furniture. Chlorine bleach should never be used on fabrics because they’ll break down the fibers and cause discoloration over time.

Step by Step Process to Remove the Fungus Completely

Step 1: Clean the affected area with a stiff-bristled brush and warm water. Do not use soap or detergents. Then, dry the area thoroughly with a clean cloth or towel to prevent excess moisture from re-contaminating the walls.

Step 2: Mix 1 cup of bleach with a gallon of water. If you don’t have a measuring cup, use any clean container that has both measurements and can be used to mix the bleach and water in. Use a cloth or sponge to apply the mixture to your walls. Be sure to get all of the areas where mold is growing—even if it’s not visible yet! The surface area must be wet so that it will kill the fungus on contact.

Step 3: Use a stiff-bristled brush to wipe the area clean. Then wipe down the wall by using a cloth, removing any residual bleach and excess dirt that may have been loosened by scrubbing it with your stiff bristles.

Step 4: Rinse off the bleach with a clean cloth and let it dry. You should not place anything back in the area until it has dried for at least 48 hours. So if you have anything sensitive to moisture or mold, such as furniture or wall decorations, remove these items for the time being. Rinse until the bleach is gone; make sure there are no streaks of bleach left behind on your walls or floors.


Fungus is a common problem in homes and offices, but it can be removed with the right cleaning solution. Chlorine bleach combined with water is an effective way to kill black mold on walls, and after rinsing off the area you’ll want to wipe down any remaining residue. If this process seems hectic or if you feel you cannot do it with perfection, hire a commercial janitorial services company to do the job for you.